Personal Injury Claims

Accidents can happen anywhere, anytime

S. J. Edney Personal Injury Solicitors are experts in claiming compensation for personal injury. In 2014-15, we recovered over £10.5 million in damages for our clients. We offer all clients a free initial interview (in person or over the telephone) and, if we feel that they have a case, we act for them on a no win no fee basis.

We deal with all types of personal injury claims, including:

  • Road traffic accidents
  • Cycling accidents
  • Accidents at work
  • Accidents in public places
  • Accidents on private land

How we will investigate your claim

The main evidence you need for a personal injury claim will come from:

  • Liability evidence (to establish that the other party was to blame for your accident).  This will include documentary and witness evidence.
  • Evidence of your injuries.  This will include your medical records and a report from an independent doctor, which we will arrange for you.
  • Evidence of your financial losses.  This will include documentary evidence to support a claim for loss of earnings, receipts/documents in support of your other expenses, and quotes from medical experts as to future treatment costs (which you will be able to claim on a private basis).

If our personal injury solicitor cannot find any medical experts who will support your claim, your claim will not succeed.

Claiming compensation

In order to claim for personal injury, you must show that someone else has been:

  • at fault (negligent);
  • in breach of a “statutory” (legal) duty; and
  • you have been injured, either physically or psychologically, because of that negligence or breach of statutory duty.

How long have I got to claim?

It is important that, if you have been injured in an accident, you take legal advice from a specialist lawyer as soon as possible, to see if you have a personal injury claim. As a general rule, an injured person has only three years from the date of the accident in which to begin a legal claim.

We recommend that you make notes about how the accident happened and keep a diary of events, including your visits to the GP and expenses incurred as a result of the accident (keeping receipts where possible).

You may still be able to make a claim for accident compensation, even if you were partly to blame.

Solicitors for Personal Injury Cases in Swindon

You can claim against:

  • an individual, for example, the driver of another car
  • a company
  • a shop
  • a manufacturer
  • a local Authority or Government department
  • the NHS
  • your employer or one of their contractors
  • a family member
  • the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, where you have been a victim of violence
  • the Motor Insurers Bureau, where a road accident has been caused by an uninsured or untraced driver.

You may be able to claim for injuries caused by:

  • an occupational illness or injury brought about by your work
  • a defective product
  • an accident that you suffer:
    • at work, for example, a manual handling injury or an injury caused by a faulty piece of equipment.
    • on the roads, for example, by another driver or a dangerous pothole in the road.
    • on public transport
    • in a shop, office, school or college
    • in a private house or on private land
    • on holiday

If you think you may have a claim for a personal injury, please contact us today and speak to one of our experienced solicitors.