Scalding injury £4,000

We acted for a delightful lady (aged 86) who suffered a scalding injury at her home in Swindon during September 2009. On the day in question, she was receiving care from an employee of a care agency. This employee filled two hot water bottles and placed them behind our client’s back to make her more comfortable. The hot water bottles were pushed between her back and the chair in which she was sitting and, as she leant back against them, one of them suddenly burst and hot water escaped, causing a scalding injury to her lower back.

Our client had to be admitted to hospital where she stayed for five months as, unfortunately, she caught an infection. When discharged from hospital, she was no longer able to look after herself and had to go into a nursing home. Our medical expert was of the opinion that the scalding injury did not cause her to be admitted to the home as it is likely that this would have happened in any event.

In our view, the carer was entirely to blame for this accident. The insurers of the care agency vigorously disputed liability and proceedings had to be issued on her behalf at the County Court. Shortly before this case was listed for a trial, the care agency agreed to compensate our client for her injury.

S. J. Edney solicitors obtained compensation of £4,000 for this client during 2012

2017-03-01T15:30:57+00:00